James Berlyn Artistic Director WAYTCo
(Director & Co-writer/Co-Creator ARCO)
James is a multi-award-winning performing artist, director, choreographer, curator and teacher of more than thirty-five years’ experience. Under James’s artistic guidance, the company has re-emerged as the peak body for youth theatre and performance in WA. WAYTCo has also won numerous awards in recent years for its devised, site-response works which have been presented at FRINGE WORLD and Perth Festival. As an independent artist, James has toured his work to most of the major Australian arts festivals and overseas. He was instigator and co-founder of Proximity Festival and co-founding director of Tracksuit Dance company for DADAA. James was a recipient of the Sidney Myer Performing Arts Award for 2021.
Devising and Safe Mental Health Practice
10:30am – 12:30pm | Artist PD
Max participants: 12
A session empowering artists to make work of depth and quality without injuring themselves or others, i.e. without compromising their own or their participants’ mental health in the process.
WAYTCo AD James Berlyn unpacks the trials of making work based on lived experience and how to do it safely.
- Understanding the difference between creating performance in a mentally safe and unsafe way.
- Fostering safe practice and safe risk taking. • Understanding the value of mental health warm-ups.
- Building a regional network of performing arts practitioners with experience and a passion for working to safeguard mental health.
"*" indicates required fields
Audit your practice with WAYTCo AD James Berlyn
1:30pm – 5:30pm | Artist One:One PD
Max participants: 8 – by expression of interest
An artist-to-artist session to get real about who you are as an artist and where you’re at! This session gives you a tool kit for building and or re-appraising your own practice.
A group session followed by 30min one-to-one sessions with James.
- Fostering robust reflective practice and practice benchmarking
- Developing a practice tool kit
- Developing an updated career road map.